'Artist in Residence' - Oli Barton & the Movement

Hi guys!

I'm really sorry it's been a few weeks since I last posted, as I've been really busy with work and stuff.

I'm just posting about Oli Barton & the Movement, one of the 'Artist in Residence' artists on my old fortnightly Croydon Radio back in November last year.

I interviewed Oli, the frontman of the band, about the band's latest single at the time, 'Photograph,' that I'd been playing on the show. Check out the video for the track here: 'Photograph' video.

As well as talking about 'Photograph,' Oli came on the show to talk about the three tracks that had influenced himself and the rest of the Movement, made up of Ryan Wilson (lead guitar), Marco Paone (bass) and Guy Monk (drums).

He also spoke about the band's plans for the future etc too.

I really enjoyed the interview and it was great getting to find out more about Oli and the rest of the band.

Oli also gave me the first chance to hear the follow-up to 'Photograph' too, 'Sleeping with the Enemy' which is out now. Oli wanted me to share the video with everyone listening, which you can view here: Oli Barton & the Movement - 'Sleeping with the Enemy'.

I recently caught up with Oli and the rest of the band for a quick chat about the meaning behind 'Sleeping with the Enemy.' Here's what they said to say about the track and amongst other things, the gigs that make them one of the most in demand acts on the live scene around at the moment:

(1) What's 'Sleeping with the Enemy' about?

OB: Well I hate to say it's about Trump because everyone's making tracks about Trump. If it helps, I dreamt this one up before the others!
MP: To play this song live is simply a blast and we can't do without it in the set. It' s one of our favourites, and to me is really in your face, like a train running against you, so that it's impossible to stay still while listening. the atmosphere is tense throughout with ups and downs until the final riff kicks in, unleashing the energy in an explosion, which makes it perfect as last song in the live set.
RW: I don’t think we could go a rehearsal or a gig without playing it.
GM: The tension and release found in the song is our outpour of love for music & our audience.

(2) How have things been for yourself and the rest of the band since we first spoke back in November?

GM: Been busy. After the gigs in 2016 we have been focussing on the album, video and single release. Working with the other lads and playing music together is what makes being a part of this band so much fun!
MP: We had our last gig in February (Camden) and I remember it with pleasure as one of the best I've ever had in terms of fun; the crowd was singing along and were so into it that we had to play two separate encores!
RW: It’s been a busy one getting things together. Oli might send me 2 or 3 tunes that’s he’s recorded that have 2 guitar tracks and keyboards on them and ask me to make it work on one guitar for live stuff! I relish in the challenge.As for the band as a whole, we’ve been keeping it quite and planning for the gigging and marketing explosion that’s gonna take place soon.

(3) Have you got any gigs coming up?

OB: We have several slots coming up, festivals, venues, the lot. More coming soon.
GM: Our gigs are just mental. We have amazing crowds. That connection on that night when its just us and the audience is extraordinary. We get into the crowd and pull fans up on stage. The vibe of the audience is contagious and it pushes us even further!

(4) Have you got any plans for your debut album?

OB: Well the release is still upcoming and we have one more single to go before we unleash it! The next single, 'Kinky' is sure to get pulses racing. My main plan is to make sure the debut album sits comfortably with the classics. People will say Sgt. Pepper's, Ziggy, Queen Is Dead, Boy In Da Corner and then ‘Into The Back Room’.

(5) Are yourself and the rest of the band still working on a follow-up album?

OB: I’m always working on more. Now James Brown’s gone, I’m the hardest working idiot in showbiz. We have at least 30 tracks left over from the debut alone.

(6) Have you got any plans for festival gigs?

OB: Watch the social media, we’ll keep you posted.

(7) Have yourself and the rest of the band got any standout tracks that are on your debut album?

OB: Well I’m contracted to say that there isn’t a bad track on the album.
GM: ‘Sleeping With The Enemy’. It was a chance for me to experiment and be creative with the drum parts. We had a lot of fun in the studio with that one. Also Rebecca is great, I just love the chorus Oli wrote for that one.
OB: You see, this is why I have these guys about.
RW: It’s gotta be “Stayed In” and “Sleeping With The Enemy”. I’ve got a real soft spot for those tunes. The riffs are electrifying! Bring sounds and big groove! Any groove that makes my face look like a dried prune makes me one happy guitarist. For me it’s a rebellious song. We play that song and for me i can’t help but lose myself.
MP: My favourite tracks off the album are the two singles. On one hand Photograph is slow, so heavily stomping that you can't help but feel it shaking you. The sound is so full and the hook is very catchy, it will haunt you after the first listening. Sleeping with the enemy is a totally different vibe: upbeat, swing and very direct; the audience loves it!

(8) Have you got a title for the debut album?

OB: Yup, 'Into The Back Room'. Remember that name, it's the new landmark. A turning point in Western music and culture. You, your parents and your grandparents will all own a copy. Display it framed above the mantelpiece. 

I hope you enjoyed reading this blog.

With lots of best wishes from Jonathan.

Comments

Popular Posts